[bcbirdclub] Migrants coming inside

  • From: "Roger Mayhorn" <rogermayhorn@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2015 00:04:10 -0400

You know the migrants must be on the move when they start coming inside to
visit. Yesterday morning about 8:00 while my wife and I were having
breakfast at home we heard a noise coming from another room. Investigating
we found a female Hooded Warbler inside the house trying to get out through
a window. The night before we had slept with the sliding window open about 6
or 8 inches, and this Hooded Warbler had found her way inside, but was
having a problem getting out. I quickly captured her and took her to the
kitchen window, which was easier to open. I stuck my hand with the bird in
it outside and opened it. The Hooded just lay there and blinked, not
realizing it could fly away. It stayed in that position for about 30 - 40
seconds then suddenly took flight. She was observed a few minutes later
feeding in the birch tree over the pond.

Other migrants we had today were a Chimney Swift, 3 Ruby-throated
Hummingbirds, 1 Red-eyed Vireo, 1 Blue-gray Gnatcatcher, 1 Gray Catbird, 2
Brown Thrashers, 1 male Black-throated Green Warbler, 1 Worm-eating Warbler,
an adult male Hooded Warbler, 2 Scarlet Tanagers and 1 Chipping Sparrow. The
complete list is below.

24 species

Chimney Swift 1

Ruby-throated Hummingbird 3f

Mourning Dove 21

Downy Woodpecker 2 ( 1m, 1f)

Red-eyed Vireo 1

American Crow 3

White-breasted Nuthatch 1

Carolina Wren 1

Blue-gray Gnatcatcher 1

Eastern Bluebird 5

Gray Catbird 1

Brown Thrasher 2

European Starling 6

Cedar Waxwing 3

Black-throated Green Warbler 1m

Worm-eating Warbler 1

Hooded Warbler 2 (1m,1f) (Female came inside the house through an open
window)

Scarlet Tanager 2

Chipping Sparrow 1

Song Sparrow 2