[bcbirdclub] Fwd: [birdky] Out of state info: Hooded Crane in TN

  • From: <sweeney11@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bc birdclub <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2011 9:54:56 -0500

Forward from birdky.
Steve Sweeney
--- Begin Message ---
  • From: Michael Todd <birder1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2011 05:27:08 -0800 (PST)
Many of you may have seen this elsewhere, (or if I missed it on birdky I
apologize) but a Hooded Crane of unknown origin has been present now for almost
a week at the Hiwassee TWRA Refuge in southeast TN. There are of course
thousands of Sandhills in the area, and multiple Whoopers currently as well.
This is the location of the TN Sandhill Crane Festival, and directions to the
viewing location (gazebo) are available here: http://www.tncranefestival.org/
Hundreds of birders, from multiple states have already come to see this bird,
which of course may not ever be an ABA-countable bird. The only other sightings
of Hooded Crane in the ABA are recent, from Idaho and earlier this year in
Nebraska. This is a stunning, unbanded, free-flying bird. Of course a lot of
research has already gone on into the possible origin of these sightings. It
can
take some time to see, as the birds have numerous feeding areas, most of which
are out of sight. It has been seen daily since being found Tuesday, 12/13. But,
on some days it is just in the morning, just the afternoon, or a flyby (which
is
what I had as the only sighting for 12/16).

Hooded has a world population of around 10,000 and is a fairly short-distance
migrant. They breed in southern Siberia and most winter in Japan,
with others in
China, and the Korean Peninsula. I saw a few Hooded amongst the hordes of
Common
Cranes on my trip to China last December. I wasn't able to get a photo of the
Hiwassee bird while I was there, though some nice ones have been taken, but
here are a couple of digiscoped shots from China:

http://www.pbase.com/mctodd/image/131542986

http://www.pbase.com/mctodd/image/131542987

http://www.pbase.com/mctodd/image/131589369 ; (flying)

For anyone interested, a lot of info, and opinions, can be found on the TN list:

Good Birding!!

Mike Todd
McKenzie, TN
birder1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx