[bcbirdclub] Eagles

  • From: "Jerry Thornhill" <mjt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'BCBC Listserve'" <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2009 16:53:48 -0500

Jane & I went to Richmond this weekend.  On the way up, we stopped in
Lexington briefly and started out of town on US 11 N.  About a mile from the
interstate, we spotted a large raptor straight ahead but far off.  I
immediately suspected an eagle and as we got closer, it turned and the white
head and tail of a mature Bald Eagle was plainly visible.  It continued to
circle as we got closer.  Suddenly it went into a seep dive.  Just as we
drew even, it grabbed some roadkill from the southbound lane and in an
instant, was back above the trees heading off.  Quite a show on a busy
highway.

Today as we were returning, we were coming up Clinch Mountain from Poor
Valley on VA 80.  As we went around one of the curves, a very large, dark
bird flew up from just off the left side of the road.  My first thought was
turkey, but I quickly realized that was wrong.  It turned out to be an adult
Golden Eagle.  While we didn't see a carcass, I suspect it was feeding on
carrion by the road.  It landed in a tree not more than 100 yards from the
road and gave us good looks before flying off down the mountain.

Looking forward to tomorrow's meeting and next Saturday's field trip.

Jerry