[bcbirdclub] Deer, Foxes and Owls

  • From: "Roger Mayhorn" <mayhorn@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "BCBC Listserve" <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2008 17:56:31 -0500

Hi All,
Last night, not long after dark, there were 4 deer and 2 foxes just outside the
dining room door at the same time.
The deer were eating the cracked corn I had tossed out for the ground feeders,
and the foxes had come in for their nightly handout. The deer got there first,
and when the foxes arrived, the deer started watching them and stamping their
feet. The foxes would run away for a short distance, then circle back into the
yard. Finally, the deer ignored the foxes and I stood in the doorway and tossed
food to the foxes with the deer only about twenty feet away. The deer would
raise their heads to see what was going on, but they weren't alarmed by it all.
A couple of hours later the Barred Owl, that stays here, landed in the tree
just outside the window. It looked around for a minute or so, the glided
silently into the woods.
I woke up about 5:00 a.m. this morning, and flipped on the outside light to see
what was going on. A possum was feeding slowly through the yard, and 3 of the
deer were bedded down under the pine tree nearby. A peaceful, pastoral scene.