[bcbirdclub] Burkes Garden this morning

  • From: Daryl Owens <daryl.owens@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Buchanan County Bird Club <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Apr 2015 13:17:34 -0400

I got out early this morning and traveled to Burkes Garden to look for
waterfowl and shore birds that have been reported there recently. I couldn't
relocate the Least Sandpipers but did find four Pectoral Sandpipers amongst
approximately fifty Wilson Snipe and a few Killdeer at MBC Ranch pond. Also
present at this location were Lesser Scaup, Pied-billed Grebe and a couple of
female Redheads. I've attached photos of the Pectoral Sandpipers. The marks I
used to ID these were size, as they were only slightly smaller than the Snipe
with which they were feeding. The shape and colors of the bill. Notice that
the bill is fairly long and is dark toward the end and lighter at the base.
Also, the streaking on the breast ends abruptly where it changes to plain
white.
I thought this was a pretty neat find for the area and a Lifer for me to
boot!

Daryl Owens,
Oakwood VA

JPEG image