[bcbirdclub] Burkes Garden Species List

  • From: "Roger Mayhorn" <rmayhorn@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "BCBC Listserve" <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2014 11:28:38 -0500

I apologize for the lateness of this report, but I got busy building nest boxes
for a new bluebird trail we are establishing this spring.

Eight members of the Buchanan County Bird Club birded Burkes Garden this past
Saturday. We started out with a cold morning, but the day warmed up for
comfortable birding except when the wind came up. We were hoping for Golden
Eagles and Rough-legged Hawks but didn't find them. However, members of the New
River Valley Bird Club,who were sometimes with us and sometimes behind us, did
get one of both species.  We did find the pair of Bald Eagles at their nest
near the Burkes Garden store, and had several raptors including a Northern
Harrier, several Red-tailed Hawks, American Kestrels and a Merlin. We had 42
species including 4 Loggerhead Shrikes, Red-bellied Woodpeckers, but no
Red-headed ones, and several flocks of Red-winged Blackbirds.
It was an enjoyable day birding with friends, and BCBC member, Daryl Owens got
to try out his new Vortex spotting scope, which worked nicely, but don't tell
him I said that.

Canada Goose 10

American Black Duck 2

Mallard 31

Green-winged Teal 6

Common Merganser 8

Great Blue Heron 14 (on nest in Rookery at Pounding Mill VA)

Black Vulture 3

Turkey Vulture 4

Bald Eagle 2

Northern Harrier 1