[bcbirdclub] Re: Bird name pronunciations

  • From: Ed Talbott <aquilaet@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Daryl Owens <daryl.owens@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2015 22:57:58 -0400

Reminds me of a e-mail I sent to VA-Birds back in 2006 that generated a lot
of discussion.  I'm not sure if these are right but they can start
conversations.

  *Bird Species:*

  Botteri's Sparrow  [BOT-er-ih-eye] - 4 syllables (Bott Err E I)
  -  or also [Bott-er-eyes] (the one I like best)
Sabine's Gull  [SAB-ins] - rhymes with "stab"
  - not "SAY-beans"
Northern Parula [PAR-you-lah]  "Parr you lah" - like par in golf
  - also found as [Pair-a-lah] - but not "pah-roo-lah"
Pileated Woodpecker [pie-leh-AY-ted] or [pil-leh-AY-ted]
    -  both are correct - I like "pill-e-a-ted"
Vaux's Swift [VAWK-es] similar to the word "foxes"
  - others say rhymes with "hawks" without the second syllable
  - not the French "Vaux"
Gila Woodpecker [HE-lah]
Berylline Hummingbird  [Bear-il-linn]
Xanthus Hummingbird  [Zan-this]
Pochard [Po-chard]
  -  have also hear [Pock-ard] and [Poch-ard]
Smew [Sy-mew or Smoo] ?
Bewick's Wren  [BEW-ick] - similar to the car Buick
Gyrfalcon  [JER-fall-kon] or [Geir-fal-con] ??
Chukar  [chu-KAR]    - not "chuck-r"
Ptarmigan  [Tar-me-gan]
Northern Jacana  [yah-SI-na]
  -  have also heard [Ha-ka-na]
Laysan Albatross  [Lie-san]
Roseate Tern [Ro-ze-ate] - 3 syllables
Guillemot [Gil-ih-mott]
  - not French "gil-e-mo"
Craveri's Murrelet (Italian) [krah-vair-reez]
Kittlitz's Murrelet  (German)  Anyone speak German?
Groove-billed Ani  (AH-nee)
  - not "Ann-e"
Common Pauraque  [pah-Ra-kay]
Fulmar - does it rhyme with dull or pull (both)?

Birding Terms:
  Accipiter [ack-SIP-ih-ter]
- not "a-SIP-ih-ter"
ferruginous  [fer-OO-jin-us]