[bcbirdclub] Bird name pronunciations

  • From: Daryl Owens <daryl.owens@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Buchanan County Bird Club <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2015 20:34:44 -0400

      So I'm sitting here this evening reflecting on a great day of birding
with Russell Co. Bird Club.  I'm also perusing my copy of National Geographic's
Complete Guide to Birds which, by the way, is a wealth of information.  One
piece of information that this great publication lacks is a pronunciation key
for bird names, some of which lend themselves to a varying degree of
interpretation i.e. Pileated Woodpecker.  Being both a "bird nerd" and a "word
nerd", I found this to be unacceptable.  This in mind, I set out on a marathon
quest (I hope 30 seconds qualifies as a marathon quest) to seek a revelation,
or should I say a medication, for my pronunciation consternation.  Alas, with
the help of the good Lord and Google, although it was mostly Google, I
discovered the webpage who's link appears below.  Many of the most
mispronounced bird names are covered therein.  Spoiler alert:  I hope you won't
be disappointed to find that both pronunciations of Pileated are accepted.
     And, to those of you who say I've too much time on my hands, I
say...you're probably right!

Hoping you feel as enlightened as I,

Daryl Owens

http://www.birds.cornell.edu/crows/birdname.htm