[bcbirdclub] Baby Bluebird, Chat - Red-shouldered Hawk

  • From: "Roger Mayhorn" <mayhorn@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Buchanan County Bird Club" <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 31 May 2007 21:58:56 -0400

Hi All,
Here are a couple of photos of birds in the yard today.The first is a baby
bluebird that had just left the nest. I was within a couple of feet of it
before I saw it sitting there in the fork of the cherry tree. It never moved.
In fact later I was concerned about it because I didn't see the parent birds
feeding it for a couple of hours. They had two more young ones in the backyard.
This one let me pick it up and carry it to the backyard where I put it on a
tree branch not far from the others.
There are also baby Song Sparrows flying around in the yard.

The second photo is of a Yellow-breasted Chat that came to bathe in our little
yard stream. It only showed its head when it was bathing, so that's all I got
in the photo. Believe it or not I did mow the grass only a couple of days ago.

Remember the baby bluebird that Larry Pinson was hand raising in KY? Well it
has grown up and flies where it wants now. In fact it went to the neighbor's
house and landed on a boy's shoulder in the swimming pool. It is used to being
fed by humans. Because of this Larry is concerned that it may be in more danger
than wilder birds. It came to him yesterday several times and was fed, but
hasn't shown up today. He is concerned about it.

No photo but an adult Red-shouldered Hawk lit on the cherry tree outside the
kitchen window today. There was a Gray Squirrel at the bottom of the tree
hugging the bark and trying to make himself invisible. Lynda called me to come
to see the hawk, and I think the hawk saw me when I came to the window. It
sailed down into the woods.

I also had female Redstart singing in the yard this evening.
Yesterday I got a close-up look at a singing male Cerulean Warbler on the
Mountain Top Golf Course here on the mountain.

JPEG image

JPEG image