[bc-rfbd-beta] Adjustable Speed

  • From: Katie Walker <katie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bc-rfbd-beta@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 14:02:37 -0800

Hi everyone,

Jackie and others have mentioned that they'd really like to have the ability to speed up the playback of AudioPlus books. Technically, the BookCourier hardware is not capable of performing TSM (time scale modification). This is also true of Book Port, which is built on the same hardware platform. However, Book Port performs TSM on the PC during the filtering and transfer process. This means that you must select the playback speed before you transfer the file and you cannot change it on the unit while you're listening to the file. At this point, we do not have the resources to tackle a project like TSM in the Transfer Tool -- especially since we give away our releases. I agree it would be a great feature, but it's just not in the cards.

Katie

At 12:40 AM 1/29/2006, you wrote:
Hi, Everybody,

Did any of you have trouble loading the two-disk world history test book
from RFB and D.?  I tried to load it twice, and it always hung up on the
second disk.  I loaded a different two-disk RFB and D. book, and it worked
fine.

On another topic: I notice on the RFB and D. website, under the discussion
of digital players, that the Victor Vibe players offer speeded up digital
voices.  If the Vibe can do it, can't the Book Courier folks figure out a
way to do it?  A lot of us who are blind or visually impaired are accustomed
to speeding up books.

- Jackie McCraw

Katie Walker
Springer Design, Inc.