BBspot Update - 4/16/04

  • From: "Brian Briggs" <briggsb@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bbspot@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 08:48:01 -0400

Sideshow Toy is our newest advertiser.  They've got cool toys from all the
best geek stuff: The Lord of the Rings, Bond, Star Trek, The Simpsons, Monty
Python's Holy Grail, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Muppets, Young Frankenstein,
Outer Limits, Get Smart, Twilight Zone and Army of Darkness. Check 'em out.
http://www.sideshowtoy.com/cgi-bin/affiliates/clickthru.cgi?id=briggsb

NEW STUFF

Geek Horoscopes...
http://bbspot.com/News/2004/04/horoscopes_20040416.html

Jesus just couldn't get the Second Coming delivered on time, so he's
downsized...
http://bbspot.com/News/2004/04/jesus.html

Some interesting Believers in the Mailbag this week...
http://bbspot.com/News/2004/04/mailbag_20040414.html

How did people react to this year's April Fool's joke?
http://bbspot.com/comics/fuzzy_logic/2004/fuzzy_20040413.html

The geek limerick contest winners...
http://bbspot.com/News/2004/04/geek_limerick_contest_results.html

--------------
SITE NEWS

- I was informed by a reader that a major newspaper had published a BBspot
story in one of their columns.  It also appears in their online edition.  I
was flattered, but pissed off by the blatant copyright violation since they
never asked permission or offered compensation to reprint it.  They have yet
to respond to my polite e-mails.  Looks like it might be the first time I
have to get a lawyer for a site issue.  I'll let you know who the violator
is next week after (hopefully) I've heard back from them.  I'll keep you
updated in the BBlog too. (http://bbspot.com/Log/)

- I've expanded the personals mockeries. Now the full profile gets the
BBspot treatment.  Check it out daily. (http://bbspot.com/misc/webcam2.html)

- I've updated the BBspot Forums to the most recent version of phpBB.
(http://bbspot.com/forum2/)

- This week's poll was "Most Annoying Chat Abbreviation"  Find out the
winner.  (http://bbspot.com/polls/2004/16-April-2004.html)   Check out next
week's poll: Best Thing for a Healthy Life (http://bbspot.com/Polls/)
------------------------------
QUOTE OF THE WEEK

Technology is dominated by two types of people: those who understand what
they do not manage, and those who manage what they do not understand.
-Putt's Law
------------------------------
LINKS OF THE WEEK

Here are my favorite 5 links from the BBspot Daily Spot section (updated
M-F) in case you missed them during the week.

A site that helps you figure out what song you're thinking of...
http://name-this-tune.com/index.php?id=9

It's hammer time...
http://www.kiteretsu.jp/on/tontie/

Calculate the effects of an asteroid impact...
http://www.lpl.arizona.edu/impacteffects/

The ins and outs of Japanese smilies...
http://club.pep.ne.jp/~hiroette/en/facemarks/

Every Trekkors dream...