[baisl] Experience with ScienceDirect College Edition

  • From: Kerry Fender <kfender@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: baisl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2014 10:21:06 -0800

Greetings, librarians!

We are considering adding Elsevier's ScienceDirect database to provide
students with access to academic journals in the sciences, since their
needs go beyond what is offered through our Gale databases. For those of
you who subscribe to ScienceDirect, I would love to hear about your
experiences-- and your students experiences-- with using this resource. I
am especially interested in the user's experience with Elsevier's search
functionality, which will return full-text results in journals available to
subscribers AND results from journals that are not accessible to
ScienceDirect College Edition subscribers. I am told that there is no way
for a user to filter for only the full-text journals available to them. Is
this a recurring problem, or a rare issue?

If you have a favorite resource for full-text, peer-reviewed journals in
the sciences, please share!

Thanks,

Kerry Fender
Director of the Lucas Family Library
Sacred Heart Schools - Atherton
150 Valparaiso Ave
Atherton, CA  94027

This email message and any attachments are intended only for the
addressee(s) and contains information that may be confidential and/or
proprietary.  Any dissemination, distribution, or copying without
appropriate authority is against SHS policy.