[AZ-Observing] Re: vekol road rest area shelved for now

  • From: AJ Crayon <acrayon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 06 May 2002 19:47:22 -0700

I'd like to get in touch with the astronomers that had something to do with the
Vekol Rest Area because I have some information that was passed on about
development to the southwest of SACs Cherry Rd. site.  It is a land swap deal
between the BLM and a company named Aranda Properties, and includes parcels
around Dewey, Humbolt and Mayer.

The "intended" use of the parcel is for "...ranching, rural residential
development on 20 to 40 acre ranchettes and/or possibleuse for youth camps or
as donations to charitable groups."

I have been trying to get in touch with several people over the last few days
and have not received any response; hence the request for people that were
involved with the Vekol Rd site.

Thanks,
aj

rick.rotramel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Read in today's AZ Republic on the editorial page about the planned Vekol
> rest area "has been shelved, at least temporarily, because of cost".
>
> Also, it mentions the lighted rest area "would impair the scenic vistas and
> disrupt astronomers who study the heavens in the area."
>
> Rick Rotramel
> SAC

messages.  Thanks.