[AZ-Observing] Re: specks flying in formation

  • From: Brent A Archinal <barchinal@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: AZ-Observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2006 11:23:36 -0700

Jenn -

If you could make some estimate of how big the "specks" were relative to
the size of the Moon (e.g. 1/100th the diameter?), and used an estimated
size for a goose, it shouldn't be too hard knowing the Moon's diameter
(~30') and altitude in the sky to use trig to figure out a ballpark
estimate for their height (left as an exercise to the reader of course).

Anyway, my understanding is that such sightings are extremely common.
Amateur astronomers in general may not see this often though as few spend
that much time observing the Moon - well, except during occultations like
this one.  However, I have had read somewhere that birdwatchers routinely
monitor the Moon all night at various times in the Fall (particularly when
full of course) to get an estimate on bird migration numbers.  Yes, they
multiply the number of birds seen by the area of the sky/area of the Moon!

- Brent

----- Forwarded by Brent A Archinal/GD/USGS/DOI on 10/11/2006 11:12 AM
-----

10/10/2006 11:01 PM
Please respond to
az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

az-observing digest users <ecartis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
az-observing Digest V6 #251

From: "Jennifer Polakis" <m24@xxxxxxx>
Subject: specks flying in formation
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2006 14:14:16 -0700

Last night when we were watching the Pleiades get occulted, I noticed
specks flying across the Moon.  At first just one or two here and there I
discounted them as floaters or dust or something, but  they were soon
followed by an entire gaggle ~maybe 30 or so in the standard V formation
but still nothing more than just specks. I noticed a few more stragglers
after that.  So, I'm thinking probably some migrating geese or cranes? Did
anyone else notice? We were using about 100x. If they were geese flying in
front of the Moon, how far away do you think they were?