[AZ-Observing] Re: The stunning images and movies of the Swedish one meter solar telescope

  • From: Stan Gorodenski <stanlep@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2011 11:06:47 -0700

Victor,
Thanks for bringing this to our attention. Except for the thrill of
seeing something in real time with one's own telescope, is there there
some other advantage to spend the money on a Coronado, Lunt, or Daystar
system when sites like this exist, the existence of SOHO, and when the
Solar Dynamics Observatory is launched? The Sun is pretty heavily
studied and imaged and what one can see through one's own telescope has
already been seen  in much more detail by these other observatories and
probably can be downloaded. If the Coronado, Lunt, or Daystar were
inexpensive items it would not be an issue, but the Coronado system (I
think it is a 3" refractor) is over $5,000, and the Lunt Etalon and
filter for a 4" refractor (you supply your refractor) is over $5,000.
Stan