[AZ-Observing] Re: Sort of off topic

  • From: Skylook123@xxxxxxx
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2011 01:02:15 EDT

Hi Stan,

Within the last couple of months there has been an evil malware/fraudware
trojan running around that, when it is eliminated by some antivirus packages
 leaves behind a somewhat neutered registry.  It's one of the trojans  that
lies to you about your computer having lots of bad stuff, and buy our tool
and get rid of it.  In its native form, it disables any internet explorer
functions.  Recent updates to antivirus packages seems to kill it, but part
of the isolation also leaves behind a bad registry value.  The indicator is
 that if you try to set your Windows Update to Auto, it won't take.  When
you go out to Microsoft and ask for an Update, it will come back and ask to
set  your update to Auto, but then it gives an error message (I don't have
it handy  right now).  If you do get that sort of behavior, and do a Google
search on  the error, you'll get advice on the exact command to run in the
Run selection on  the Start Menu.  Basically, it uses regsrvr to re-enable the
Windows Update  in the registry, which also enables getting to Microsoft.
I got hit with  this sucker four times in a weekend until my antivirus
packages got smart.

Good luck!
Jim O'Connor
South Rim Coordinator
Grand Canyon Star  Party
gcsp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

In a message dated 6/9/2011 9:43:50 P.M. US Mountain Standard Time,
stanlep@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

I need  to get a particular version of .net framework for an astronomy
program. I  did a google on microsoft and every entry I click on says the
address  cannot be found. I also tried entering microsoft.com with the
same result.  Could my pc have been invaded by something preventing me
from accessing  microsoft?
Stan