[AZ-Observing] Saddle Mountain site for SAC

  • From: stevecoe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2008 13:54:24 -0500 (EST)

Howdy all;

We had four vehicles and five cool observers at Saddle Mountain last night
and I am pleased with the results.  The site is pretty dark and has room
enough for at least 20-25 vehicles if we park in some type of ordered
sequence.  The skies are very similar to Flatiron.  Any direct lights from
the Palo Verde power plant are hidden over a small rise and all the other
lights are far in the distance.

After observing for a while, Richard Harshaw was nice enough to drive
along the road with high beams on so Joe Goss and Lynn Blackburn could see
if car lights are going to be a problem.  It turns out they are no trouble
at all.  The path of Elliot Road does not direct any lights toward the
observing field while driving along either direction.  We did that because
this was a problem at a previous location.

AJ and I started looking for a spot that the club could use when the Moon
was third quarter and the sites in the hills were too cold.  I do think
that this will work.  It is a 60 to 90 minute drive from west Phoenix and
the skies are worth the trip.  I am perfectly clear that another 45
minutes or so will get you to the Antennas site, but I think that a "close
in" site can also be useful when Moonrise is midnight.

Let's plan for a club outing on Jan. 17 at this location and club members
can see for themselves.

I will get the directions to Peter Argenziano and make certain that this
site directions are on the club website.  I know that we have tried two
other locations near this one, but let's make this the only "Saddle
Mountain" site from now on.  To be honest, if this one does not work out
we may have to try some other locations.  I know that Tom and Jennifer
Polakis also scouted in this area (thank you both) and there are not many
other choices around.

Last night was cold and clear, Richard, Lynn, Paul Lind and I spent some
time with Joe Goss in his motorhome getting out of the wind and warming
up.  However, we did do some observing.  Mercury was just seen before it
set and formed a nice line with Jupiter and Venus above the sunset.
Richard, Lynn and I scanned some open clusters in binoculars.

Hope to see a big crowd for January, a chance to show off all the neat
stuff you received for Christmas;-)

Clear skies;
Steve Coe