[AZ-Observing] Re: Refractor in and out of focus image

  • From: Chris Schur <comets133@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2011 13:52:17 -0700 (PDT)

Stan, from what I understand (Tom correct me if Im wrong) in a vacuum, the
inside and outside will look the same.  In an atmosphere, outside of focus sees
closer to the telescope than infinity, so you will be focuing on atmospheric
waves and ripples that are nearby.  so if the ground turbulence is bad, they
extrafocal image will be full of wavy bands.
Clear Skies,

Chris

Schur's Web Portal: http://www.schursastrophotography.com