[AZ-Observing] Re: Observing Trip Comments

  • From: "William R Wood" <wmrwood@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 07:17:37 -0700

Thanks Steve,

Your assessment about the advisability of a trip to the North Rim for
astronomical purposes is most accurate - I should have talked to you first!
I was hoping to combine a nice little vacation that my wife would enjoy
(visiting and hiking in the National Park and the surrounding areas during
the day) with a little telescope time on the side.  Janet is not really a
camper so I must hunt up decent local accommodations to pull that type of a
trip off.  The Lodge in the National Park looked nice, they have cabins too,
but when we inquired about a room they laughed and said you must reserve
dates 1-2 years in advance - just about totally impractical.

Star Hill Inn ($165-195 p/night) was just recommended by Bill Ferris and
looks perfect for this idea and I must also get the July issue of Astronomy
to read Tom's review.  I also like your idea of trying our Rim or the White
Mountains.  Maybe someone can recommend a place to stay in either of those
areas where I might find a dark spot nearby to observe for a few hours?

I am also going to check southeast AZ.  Sunglow Ranch has mixed reviews from
what I have heard (depending on when they visited) and is pricey too (about
$180 p/night for 2 people) and there must be other places down there
somewhere.  Any current info on this area would be appreciated.

I wouldn't have to worry about this stuff if I could just talk Janet into
moving to Sentinel :o)

Regards

Bill Wood