[AZ-Observing] Re: Observing Trip Comments

  • From: "Steve Coe" <stevecoe@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 00:38:32 -0700

Bill Wood;

Thanks so much for the report on the little cabins at the North Rim.  I went
up there many years ago (1995?) for a friend's wedding.  The ceremony was
great, right on the rim, a beautiful way to say I Love You.  That night
Linda and I learned the same lesson you learned about the little cabins.  It
was Full Moon so I did not try and do any observing, but one night in the
cabins was PLENTY.  We drove around on the North Rim side for a day and
returned to Flagstaff for the next evening's sleep.

Some years ago Dave Fredericksen, AJ Crayon, Bill Anderson and I went to the
North Rim for an observing session.  We saw that the trees are pretty tall
and there are few open areas to observe.  We found a spot south of Jacob's
Lake that had little traffic, but Scorpius just barely cleared the tree
tops.  It was certainly dark and I have some great notes from dead overhead
that weekend, but we concluded that the long drive around the Big Ditch was
not worth it from the astronomy point of view.  We all obviously agreed,
none of us have returned to the North Rim to set up a scope.  I think that
the area around Happy Jack or Heber are 95% as dark and much easier to get
to.

Clear Skies;
Steve Coe

Author "Deep Sky Observing--The Astronomical Tourist"
Saguaro Astronomy Club website
www.saguaroastro.org