[AZ-Observing] Re: Meteor or was it Something Else?

  • From: "Bernie Sanden" <bsanden@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2006 22:03:47 -0700

Sounds like space junk to me.  The one time I saw it (at Vekol in the
late 80's) it literally came up over the horizon, across the entire sky,
and "set" on the opposite horizon in 30 sec or so.  So 4 or 5 degrees a
second sounds about right (we had time to manually track it in my dob).
It was seen across a number of states.  Lots of color, but I don't
recall any hissing.

My vote is for space junk.  Just tell me where to hand in my ballot.

By the way, this may be a rare event today, but our grandkids may get a
show every couple years if this article is accurate:

http://seattlewebcrafters.com/nsecc/?q=node/view/50

- Bernie

From: Tom Polakis <tpolakis@xxxxxxx>
To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2006 10:40:23 -0400

---- Neville Cole <nevillecole@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
 > Did anyone here witness the bright so-called fireball visible over
Arizona
 > on Sunday night? (I didn't)
 >
 > From the article in the Arizona Republic today, the eyewitnesses talk

about
 > what sounds like something that's considerably slower moving than any

meteor
 > I've ever seen or heard of.

A Google News search turns up stories in the Republic and the
Albuquerque
Journal.

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/news/articles/1003meteor1003.ht
ml
http://www.abqjournal.com/abqnews/index.php?option=com_content&task=view
&id=1562&Itemid=2

I'd agree with Neville that it's space junk.  The Albuquerque Journal
piece
mentions that it lasted 30 seconds.  Meteors typically move much faster
than
a hand width (5 degrees) per second.   Unless they're right in the line
of
sight, the slowest meteors come and go before non-astronomer types get a

chance to see them.

Maybe I should stop speculating, though, and leave this matter for Dr.
Sky
to explain to the press.

Tom