[AZ-Observing] Meteor or was it Something Else?

  • From: "Neville Cole" <nevillecole@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 03 Oct 2006 22:52:24 -0700

Did anyone here witness the bright so-called fireball visible over Arizona
on Sunday night? (I didn't)

From the article in the Arizona Republic today, the eyewitnesses talk about
what sounds like something that's considerably slower moving than any meteor
I've ever seen or heard of.

Jeff Hartman of Ahwatukee reported it was moving about the width of a human
hand per second across the sky.

I've witnessed both a fireball and re-entering space junk.  While it's true
that the fireball I witnessed crossed the sky more slowly than your
typically fast meteor, it still was pretty fast as it crossed the entire sky
in 2 or 3 seconds.  The speed of the space junk I witnessed re-entering was
more like Jeff Hartman described, but probably even slower.

Neville