[AZ-Observing] Re: Last Night

  • From: Michael Collins <cal_donley@xxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2011 14:50:23 -0700

On 06/26/11 11:36, Stan Gorodenski wrote:

> I just wanted to let those know who came to observe at the Cherry Rd
> site that the weather gods looked favorably upon them. Last night was
> nice and calm at my observatory in Dewey, about 15 miles west of the
> Cherry Rd site. For months it has been very windy and breezy at night.
> You really lucked out last night.

  Well, it wasn't so nice down on the low desert. Hotter than blazes all
the way to midnight, with variable winds ranging from enough to make
chart handling frustrating up to "there goes the tarp -- again." You'd
think a breeze would be welcome, but it just seemed to make it hotter
yet. I went to my usual post-Vekol clearing in the Sonoran Desert
National Monument, rather than the more temperature friendly
Dewey-Humboldt Road site, for a few reasons:

- SDNM is closer to my south Chandler residence, and I don't have to
drive the Black Canyon Highway

- The path of an occultation involving the asteroid (1085) Amaryllis was
predicted to cross my observing location at 10:56 UT this morning. I
recorded the target star, but haven't had time to review the video to
see if I got a hit or not. It didn't look like it when I watched the
tiny screen on my video camera as the recording was being made.

- My car does this whole light show thing any time I open a door. I'm
pretty much limited to observing in isolation so as not to disturb and
annoy people with better behaved vehicles.

  Seeing and transparency conditions weren't too bad, all things
considered, but it sure was hot.

                                -- Mike --
--
cal_donley@xxxxxxx