[AZ-Observing] Laser effects

  • From: Jeffmight@xxxxxxx
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, evac@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 15:11:20 EST

Just my in limited experience, when I've used my green laser pointer in a
dark sky environment unless someone is standing very close to me, they can't
see
 the beam. And I notice that with other people using pointers I can't see
their  upward pointed beam if they are more than 10 feet away from me. This
again
is  when the beam is directed upwards and in a dark sky site. I can't see
this as  much of a problem in a star party situation.
But as a courtesy, I don't use the pointers if there are people taking
astrophotos (as I know what a horror a ruined long exposure is) But I wonder if
astrophoto would be actually pick up an errant beam. I'd like to see an
example of a green laser beam that ruined an astrophoto if anyone happens to
have
one.   Jeff Vandecar