[AZ-Observing] Re: It is going to be perfectly clear it weekend

  • From: "Paul Lind" <pulind@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2004 16:16:15 -0700

All,
And it was very clear indeed.  I myself generally have really bad luck with
seeing, but Saturday night a Sentinel was a treat. Almost no wind, decent
seeing, and lots of good conversations and good scopes to look at such as
Richard Payne's Schmidt camera. It's a real beauty and a work of art.  To
top it off, I was able to photograph Saturn with my undriven 14" Dob. The
ToUCam webcam exposures were 1/1000. Saturn was in the field for a little
over 15 seconds!  The A-ring is clearly darker than the B-ring, without an
ink-black division as it appeared visually and Saturn is a nice cream color.
The pixels are about 0.7 seconds at the prime focus (fl = 68"), so a barlow
may have helped. But undriven....no way.
Paul Lind