[AZ-Observing] Re: IC 342

  • From: "Ken Reeves" <kreeves@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2003 18:00:19 -0700

 Yes, IC-342 is a wonderful big but faint galaxy.

In the 10" scope from Lake Alamo Road:  70X  Extremely faint, very large,
probably seeing the middle only.  Looks much like an unresolved open cluster
with about 10 foreground stars.  At 35X, it is surprisingly hard to see.
UHChelps bring it out, halo is almost non-existent.

In the 20" scope from White Tanks West (Sun Valley Parkway):  80X Very
large,very faint, there is a fuzzy center nucleus, slight brightening in the
background otherwise.  Many stars involved.  Using the UHC filter seems to
bring out the background.  A string of stars tangent to the nucleus on the
WSW.  It is very definitely there, averted vision doesn't help much.
Generallumpiness in the background.  Interesting even if it is on the faint
side.  Irregular shaped.

Though I don't state it in the observation, my drawing in the 20" shows
hintsof spiral arms.

Ken Reeves