[AZ-Observing] Re: Fredericksen's Meadow

  • From: Tom Polakis <tpolakis@xxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2013 13:08:39 -0400

The Motor Vehicle Use Map for Coconino National Forest, dated May 2013, is
available as a PDF file at this site.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/coconino/landmanagement/projects/?cid=stelprdb5356224

This image is my annotated cutout from the South Half map.  The limit for
driving off of most Forest Service roads, including FSR #229, is 300 feet.
They call this "off-road motorized dispersed camping."

http://imageshack.us/a/img580/2848/hod8.jpg

How far are we are driving from the centerline of FSR #229?  This Google Earth
image overlays four 300-foot bars, and shows where we set up.  We have been
driving about 100 feet beyond the limit.

http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/866/wazr.jpg

It seems like we should be able to ask the Forest Service for an exception in
which we can set up no more than 400 feet from the road.  If there's an
environmental reason to stay off the north edge of the meadow, then perhaps we
should move along.  At the very least, we should know the rules before making a
case.

Regarding the gunfire and bonfires, EVAC had a similar instance distant past.
One member got spooked by gunfire at the original Florence Junction site, so
the entire club moved to Florence Junction site #2, a couple miles away.  It
wasn't surprising to hear rounds of gunfire at that site.  If our solution to
bad behavior by non-astronomers is to simply go to another site in the National
Forest, why would we expect it to turn out differently?

Tom