[AZ-Observing] Flaming Star Nebula

  • From: "Jack Jones" <spicastar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "AZ Observing List" <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 1 Mar 2003 15:25:14 -0700

It can be frustrating to start a new observing list with a challenge
object, especially if it doesn't sound like a challenge object, being
named something like the "Flaming Star Nebula". It is also known as a
Bright Nebula which always equates with reflection nebulae for me, so I
didn't even try a filter. Too bad, I might have seen something (14.5"
f/5 refl). Megastar shows a big nebula (IC 405) in Auriga, but it is
actually not much more than a star with some wispiness and shouldn't be
tried on a night of mediocre transparency such as we had at Flat Iron
last Saturday (Coe). The Night Sky Observing Guide (Vol I) explains the
mystery and identifies it as a reflection/emission nebula and does
respond to OIII and UHC filters, but rates it only one star. It does
caution on less than highly transparent nights in the description of
neighboring IC 417 (prob also Coe, or maybe AJ's descr). It is also
rated one whole star! I pray the rest of the "Beyond the NGCs" list is
not going to be like this, or I keep Sanner's book handy.

Jack Jones
Saguaro Astronomy Club
Public Events
Lunar List Awards and