[AZ-Observing] Re: Encke minima/gap, was Re: Observing the weekend of Jan 2-5, 2003

  • From: BillFerris@xxxxxxx
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2002 22:39:32 -0500

Matt Luttinen wrote:

>Jack,
>
>Clear this up for me, then: Am I right to say that the "Encke minima" is
>the gap unresolved? Or is it something else altogether? If I am right,
>then I am pretty sure I have seen the "minima." If not, I may have
>fooled
>myself again . . .

The Encke Minima and Encke Division are recognized by the IAU as two different
features within the A-ring. The Encke Minima is a broad dusky band, offset
slightly from center toward the inner edge, within the A-ring. The Encke
division is a narrow dark gap positioned just inside the outer edge (78% the
distance from the inner to outer edge) of the A-ring.

Jeff Medkeff posted a well-researched monograph on the subject to SAA in
September 1998:
http://groups.google.com/groups?q=Keeler+gap+group:sci.astro.amateur&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&selm=3601565a.17942600%40news.goodnet.com&rnum=6

Happy 2003,

Bill Ferris