[AZ-Observing] Re: Encke minima/gap, was Re: Observing the weekend of Jan 2-5, 2003

  • From: "Gene A. Lucas" <geneluca@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2002 18:40:24 -0700

There will be perpetual discussion about such visual observations as this.
Yes, someone claimed to have seen (and reported) the "spokes" in the rings
(likely caused by harmonic gravitational influences on the ring "particles"
from the Saturnian satellites) prior to the Voyager missions.

I can state unequivocally that I have observed the Encke division, because
some years ago Leroy Paller, Gerry Rattley and myself successfully observed
and videotaped the occultation of a star in Sagittarius that passed behind
the rings, as seen from Palo Verde Observatory in central Phoenix.  The star
repeatedly dimmed and brightened and dimmed again, as it passed behind the
successive rings of material over the course of several hours.  (Many other
observers saw and videotaped and photographed the occultation, from several
locations.)
Gene Lucas
(17250)