[AZ-Observing] Re: Daylight sighting of Venus

  • From: "Keith Parizek" <keithparizek@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2008 09:44:26 -0700

Hi Darrell-  One of the big problems to finding Venus in the daytime sky
naked eye is that your eyes normally focus at 12 to 15 feet if you are not
reading a book or newspaper or looking at a distant mountain.  Getting your
eyes to focus at infinity is a real trick and having the moon handy to get
to the infinity focus  did the trick for you.  Up in Alpine finding Venus in
the daytime is easy and when your eyes snap into infinity focus it is
amazing how prominent it is in the dark blue sky.  As your eyes are
approaching infinity focus I am always overwhelmed by the amount of
particles, spider webs, etc you see floating over you.  These are a real
distraction, but once you focus past them Venus snaps out at you in full
glory.  I followed Jupiter once into early daylight, but nothing compares to
Venus blazing away in bright sunlight.  The same thing applies with an
optical telescope.  If you do not have it focused at infinity you can be
looking directly at Venus, but will not see it due to it being way out of
focus.

Regards
Keith Parizek