[AZ-Observing] Comets at the Recent AAMM

  • From: "David M. Douglass" <dmdouglass@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2013 16:24:29 -0700

There was a considerable amount of excitement at the recent AAMM, with the
observing of Comet PanSTARRS. Many excellent photographs have shown up, and
enjoyed by all who care to look. But PanSTARRS was not the only comet to be
viewed that evening.

From 10:00 PM until Midnight, I was locked on Comet ISON. High in the sky,
and slightly west of the Meridian, it was continuing on its journey to the
sun. I took 60 2 minute exposures, and then created 20 frames of 3 images
each (thus a 6 minute “on-target” image), and combined them into an Animated
GIFF, just like in my January observation. The entire animated gif lasts 20
seconds, and then repeats.

It has been reported that Comet ISON has developed a tail, and it appears to
show up in these images.
I have an ISON page on my website. If you would like to see the animated
gif, you can start here:

http://az-douglass.net/astronomy/index_5.htm
Then click on “Comet 2012-S1 (ISON)”    and you will be looking at the ISON
images.

In my January gif (which is on the same web page), I had figured out how to
“lock down” the background stars, which really created a solid background. I
seem to have forgotten how to do that, so the March gif is just a little
unsteady. But it is still enjoyable to watch.  I must go back and figure out
what I did……
If I can figure it out, I shall “fix it” !!

David M. Douglass
dmdouglass@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (secondary)
david@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (main)
Cell  (602) 908-9092