[AZ-Observing] Re: Comet Hartley 2 in Perseus

  • From: Nishimotog@xxxxxxx
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2010 12:46:50 EDT

apologies-message was meant specifically for steve coe.

In a message dated 10/14/2010 9:27:48 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
Nishimotog@xxxxxxx writes:
i will  be passing through w'berg tomorrow-i could let you see this
aluminum
tripod. i cud not make it to antennas last sat-back gave out. is  tomorrow
ok?

In a message dated 10/14/2010 9:15:54 A.M.  Pacific Daylight Time,
stevecoe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  writes:
About  midnight last night I stepped outside in the RV park  near
Wickenburg.   I would rate the sky at 6 out of 10 for  transparency, the
Milky Way was  pretty wide and easy to see.  I  had my 8X42 binoculars.
Comet Hartley  was pretty faint, but stood  out enough to be seen with
direct vision.   It showed a somewhat  condensed core and got much larger
with averted  vision.

The  cluster NGC 1528 was easy at the other end of the field of  view.
Tonight it is much closer, about 1.5 degrees according to Sky Map   Pro.
You will probably need to let the Moon get close to the horizon  for  the
sky to have any contrast.

Clear skies;
Steve  Coe