[AZ-Observing] Comet Hartley 2 in Perseus

  • From: stevecoe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: "az-observing@fre" <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2010 12:04:47 -0400

About midnight last night I stepped outside in the RV park near
Wickenburg.  I would rate the sky at 6 out of 10 for transparency, the
Milky Way was pretty wide and easy to see.  I had my 8X42 binoculars.
Comet Hartley was pretty faint, but stood out enough to be seen with
direct vision.  It showed a somewhat condensed core and got much larger
with averted vision.

The cluster NGC 1528 was easy at the other end of the field of view.
Tonight it is much closer, about 1.5 degrees according to Sky Map Pro.
You will probably need to let the Moon get close to the horizon for the
sky to have any contrast.

Clear skies;
Steve Coe