[AZ-Observing] Re: Beautiful Universe

  • From: Joe Orman <joe.orman@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2007 16:06:29 -0800 (PST)

As someone who has devoted considerable effort to showing people the beauty of
the sky, I struggle constantly with this fact of human nature: to some, beauty
is found wherever one looks; others are blind to it or see only ugliness.

  This dichotomy is exemplified by this quote by Werner Herzog, one of my
favorite film directors: "I believe the common character of the universe is not
harmony, but hostility, chaos and murder."  Yet, Herzog's films are known for
containing some of the most beautiful images of nature ever captured on film.

  And from chaos theory, I've learned that seemingly random, "messy" behavior
can result in beautiful patterns when observed at different scales.  So even in
chaos can be found harmony.

  --Joe Orman

  Photo Pages:
  http://joeorman.shutterace.com/Gallery.html