[AZ-Observing] Re: Administrivia: Constructive Criticism Needed about AZ-Observing

  • From: Russell Chmela~ <rchmela@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 08 Apr 2002 09:08:51 -0700

Paul:

   Strictly speaking, I do not think it was too far outside of
topic - the Novice group thread. Here's why...

   I like the idea when people not just plan the upcoming
observing event here, but also take the time to follow up with a
good report of how it went. The reason for this is that although
I have spent four years in the area, on two separate stays, I
am still sometimes confused by the weather here. There have been
some nights I have missed, especially those where a group of high
thin clouds appear on a Saturday afternoon. I tend to take a look
at them, and the satellite image/water vapor loop and decide,
and I get burned about 50 percent of the time. As time goes by
and I read how people fared on various weekends, I can calibrate
just what the skies can do here as far as being different here
over the valley versus Vekol or Sentinel or wherever. I find the
list very useful and like to hear how the folks in Tucson, and
Flagstaff are doing as well, since they are not that far away.
This last weekend was nothing to calibrate, it was a clean and
honest wipeout, and clearly, someone took delivery of a 5" or
larger Astro - Physics. It is also great to hear how any events
go with regard to the sites and any problems or advantages or
any changes found with each.

   There are several of us here in the PHX and even more in the
TUS area who have done hard time in the SFO bay area. These folks
will note that there is a extremely active e-list going there called
The Astronomy Connection or TAC for short. This list is a product
of a very large member base and it goes from strength to strength
and morphs and subdivides into new branches. Compared to TAC, the
Az obs list is laser focused on topic at all times. On TAC, which
can be a very enjoyable read, and I still stop in there from time
to time, a LED flashlight thread can run a week or longer and cover
some 200 messages. If you ever get discouraged about the weather
here, just read TAC archives and see the "fogged-out" stories they
have. During an El Nino year, the list gets very superstitious and
they talk of burning scopes/owners as sacrifices (strange how just one
moist weekend here can bring this up, are we spoiled????????????).

   I think Az observing is right on the mark and if not a burden
to Paul, would like to see even more content in it.

  Russ

messages.  Thanks.