<USS Avalon> Springing the Major and other adventures

  • From: Rowanna Darkwolf <rowannadarkwolf@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: avalon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2010 01:18:26 -0700 (PDT)

by, Major Adrian Jackson Philips, Lt Co. Patrick "Mac" McEntire, Nurse David
Withers and 2nd Lt Joshua Garrity

Nurse David Withers made his rounds, grumbling about the date he was missing.
Checking in on the marine Major first, he gave a vague nod. "Looks like you're
getting sprung. Congratulations. Doctor Burns'll be here in a few minutes to
let you go. "
"Finally" he said to the nurse as Adrian stretched his body in the biobed. "I
mean don't get me wrong, the place is great. Just not somewhere I like to hang
out for days on end, ya know?" He said with a grin.
"Well, Major, if you'd maybe try avoiding things that are destined to be blown
up," Withers answered blandly. Commotion across the room interrupted before he
could say more as another nurse went flying toward the wall.
Adrian's instincts kicked in before anything else. He jumped up from his biobed
and landed on his feet. "Check the nurse, I'll go see whats going on." He said
as he grabbed the phaser pistol next to his biobed and raised it to the door.
Withers moved to do as he was told. The scene before Adrian as he gazed through
the door was a strange tableau. Three nurses, one of whom was armed with a
hypospray, were closing in on a very tall, painfully thin young man, his face
near obscured by dark curls. He  stood uneasily upon what was clearly a new
prosthetic limb, leaning heavily against the wall behind him, his balance
unsteady, his hands shaking.
"Alright, so what on earth is going on here? I don't really get it, but let's
see what the deal is shall we?" Adrian said as he stepped into the area,
looking around carefully with the phaser lowered a bit.
The three nodded one to another, coordinating their approach as they closed in
on the fragile looking young man.  Just as they were ready to pounce, the young
man tensed and sprang. The one approaching from his left was flung into the one
approaching from the right. Crouching low as the one with the hypo came in, he
swept him with his newly attached cybernetic then sedated him with his own
hypospray before shifting back. He took note of the marine with the phaser
watching from the doorway and quickly took cover.
Adrian stepped into the room, but kept himself in the door as he watched where
the man was. Clearly fast, clearly genetically enchanced, in some capacity.
Great...
"I'm not going to hurt you, but what on earth is going on here? Speak up, it's
not gonna make a difference if you speak or not." Adrian said as he watched the
cover from where the young man was hiding behind.
The young man, knelt, breathing slowly and deeply. He heard the man speaking,
and did his best to sort out the words through the pain and fog.
Withers came in behind Adrian. "They were checking his readouts. Monitoring his
heart rate as ordered before administering the pain meds, antibiotics and
sedatives Dr Burns ordered.  Say he woke up when he heard them talking, all
disoriented. Why didn't you stun him?"
"I still can, but whats the point? I stun him, your gonna have the same problem
if not worse in a few hours." Adrian without looking behind him. "Let's see if
we can't get him to see some reason first. Oy! Starfleet Officer, what is your
name?" He spoke now louder, towards the young man.
Withers went for the hypospray of the other nurse, thinking he'd sneak around
and put him down while Adrian distracted him, wishing desperately that Dr.
Lewis was on shift since Dr. Burns wouldn't come out of the office now.
The young officer started to answer when he heard the near silent movements of
the other man circling around. Bracing himself, he remained silent, preparing
himself for what he believed was yet another attack.
"Withers! Don't think about it. He's a bit quicker than you are, and unless you
want a bruise, I'd stop right about now." Adrian said calmly as he kept his
eyes trained on the young man still. "You're not gonna help the situation by
trying to hypo him. Stay put, that's an order for your own safety."
"what the hell?" Withers spouted. "he's weak and wounded and suffering the
after affects of surgery and whatever it was that cost him the leg in the first
place. I could have ended this!"
"Have you looked around you Withers? Three of your friends are beat up and
knocked around. Just hold for a little bit." Adrian tried to keep his
frustration out of his voice as he turned back to the young man. "Now then,
let's try again. What is your name Starfleet Officer?"
The young man blinked, surprised by Adrian's action. "Garrity," he finally
answered, his soft slightly accented voice only just barely audible. "2nd
Lieutenant, Joshua Garrity."
"Good. Thank you Lt. Garrity. My name is Major Adrian Jackson Phillips, Marine
Corps. You are currently onboard the USS Avalon. We found you on an away
mission, but your badly hurt still. Is it alright if I give you something to
help with the pain? I promise it won't hurt."
"No," he answered with a sigh. Recalling his conversation with Mahler earlier,
he reconfirmed, trying to keep the details straight in his own head.  " Avalon
died. This is C."
"Correct Lt. this is Avalon C. You've apparently been out of the loop for a
little bit. This man over here is Nurse Withers. He wants to help you so he's
going to approach you to help you. Is that alright?" He kept his voice calm,
though his phaser was still ready, even if lowered completely.
"No." Josh said again, leaning back and breathing deeply, "How long?"
"How long what?" Adrian said, clearly confused.
"Izar station?" Josh asked, hoping that would be enough to clarify his
question.
Adrian shrugged for a moment. "Honestly Lt. Garrity, I have no idea. I will see
if I can find out for you. In the meantime, rest up. I will have one of the
doctors come see you shortly. Alright?" He answered as honestly as he could.
Not sure who to trust, Josh shook his head again. "Is Mac aboard," he asked
quietly, hopefully, needing to talk to someone he trusted.
A chuckle escaped Adrian as he motioned for Withers to get Mac. "Indeed he is
actually, though he isn't a member of this crew. Well, sort of. I'll let him
explain it to you. The nurse will get him for you."
Withers shot Adrian a glance worthy of his name, resenting being a lackey for
an uncooperative patient, but went to get Mac anyway.
Josh swallowed hard against the dizziness that threatened to do what the nurses
with their hypos couldn't. "He's here, in sickbay?" he asked, concern for his
friend forcing him unsteadily back to his feet.
"Sit down Lt, your friend is fine." Adrian said rather forcefully for a moment.
"We found him nearby where we found you actually, in a roundabout sort of way."
"Found?" he blinked, sinking back to the floor, more confused. "We
were...lost?"
"Not quite lost. The ship that Mac was on came under attack and they were
forced to evacuate off of it. Avalon was sent to rescue them, and then we found
them, and you." Adrian looked back through the door for a second as Mac came
around. "Good timing. Apparently Lt. Garrity won't believe much of what I say
until he sees you."
"Lieutenant?" Mac repeated as what he was being told sunk in. "Wait. Josh?" He
entered the room, not sure he believed what he was hearing.
"How bad?" Josh asked his friend, frowning.
"Me or you?" Mac asked, approaching slowly, his voice filled with disbelief.
Josh was alive?
"You," Josh answered as if that should have been obvious.
"I'm fine." Mac lied, moving slowly to his friend's side, knowing better than
to rush it. Kneeling next to him, he added,"You met Adrian, I see. He's a good
guy. You should listen to him. Trust him."
"Right then. I'm glad all of this is sorted out." Adrian said for a moment,
watching the situation. "Mac, I imagine that you'll get your friend to let the
nurses take care of him a bit? I need to check on my marines." He said, turning
to the door. "Oh, and once your done, get healthy again yourself. We need more
sound heads running around his tin-can." He said to them both as he headed out,
leaving Withers in charge.
Mac grinned, nodding to Adrian before turning his attention back to his friend.
"You know, Bean. You really do gotta stop beatin' up on the med staff," he told
him with a grin as Adrian exited the room. "They get sort of put out at you
when you do this."
Withers caught him on the way out. "Now instead of one wounded man out of bed
we've got two. So how did that help?"
Adrian grinned. "They're friends, and Mac's got enough sense about him to get
Garrity to relax. Let them catch up for a few minutes then step in." He said
wisely before turning and walking off before Withers could get any more say in.
Withers watched him leave, cursing engineers, marines, and patients in general.
God, he hated his job.
He stood back a few minutes letting them 'catch up' as ordered, then moved
forward with the hypo. "Can I give you this now without getting thrown across
the room, please?"

"no," Josh answered, leaning back against the biobed.

"Why not?" Withers demanded, getting more and more agitated by the moment. What
the hell was wrong with this patient?

"What is it," Mac asked curiously.

"Dextropropoxyphene and Paracetamol for pain, piperacillin for infection and a
sedative to help him rest." Withers answered, not entirely sure why he was
bothering.

"So you're trying to kill him, then," Mac asked incredulously. "No wonder he
won't let any of you near him."

"What?" Withers demanded.

Rolling his eyes, Mac grabbed the Padd at the end of the biobed and accessed
Josh's file. "Severe penicillin allergies. Do not administer under any
circumstances." he read to Withers.

"But Burns prescribed..." Withers said in disbelief. He could have killed the
guy. How had he missed that when it was right there in the chart?

"Burns is an idiot!" Mac informed him as if it'd been obvious, before turning
back to his friend. "You heard what they were gonna give you?"

Josh nodded without opening his eyes.

"You couldn't just tell them you were allergic?" Mac asked, shaking his head.

"didn't hear me," Josh answered so quietly even Mac had to strain to hear him.

"Well damn, I always kept sayin you needed to learn to speak up, Bean," Mac
laughed. "Come on, let's get you back on the biobed. We'll find Lewis or
Lincoln, someone who knows what the hell they're doing, and get you situated,
and you stop beating up the med personnel, alright?"

Josh nodded again, still without opening his eyes, too tired to argue.

Mac suggested to Withers as he got Josh situated. "Why not look to see what
Mahler prescribed him and stick with that, alright? And maybe see about his
anacrese if someone hasn't already."

"They had it on the drip along with a nutrient infusion before he pulled the
tubing out." Withers told Mac as he read back through the PADD, making note of
what the patient should have been given instead of what Burns ordered.

Mac saw his friend settled then let Withers help him back to where he should
be, promising himself Burns was getting a beat down when he saw him next.

Still, somehow he couldn't help but smile.