<USS Avalon> "Repast"

  • From: CamtheTreknut@xxxxxxx
  • To: avalon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2006 15:43:24 EDT

Repast

        It had taken them longer than Laney had  anticipated to get all of
Avalon's shuttles transferred to the ship  from Izar Station. Then, as Ketchum
had requested, she and Farraday had given  each and every one a thorough
examination---with the chief cracking jokes about  the two of them being
doctors for
starships.
        When the last of the shuttles had been  examined from bow to stern
and found to be in perfect working order, Laney  and Farraday called it quits,
and the younger man left for whatever  pursuits he had chosen to follow. Laney,
on the other hand, still had to  offload her personal effects and set up her
quarters. Before that, though, she  had to eat. Eating was one of the things
she was glad she hadn't had to give  up after the Changelings had given her the
ability to shapeshift as they  did---she'd grown up eating food, after all,
and she really rather liked the  taste of it. And although she knew she had to
be careful so as not to draw  attention to herself, she suddenly did not want
to be alone.
        Laney walked out of the shuttle bay and  headed for the crew lounge.
She wasn't sure if the place would be operational  yet, considering the ship
had only started boarding that morning. But she  decided to check it out, and
if not, she would simply head back to the  Einin and eat alone before getting
to work unloading the shuttle.  Thankfully, there were more than a handful of
crew present, and even though she  didn't actually plan on sitting with anyone,
at least she wasn't by  herself.
        At the replicator, she ordered a thick roast  beef sandwich with
mayonnaise, lettuce, bacon and cheese, and a tall glass of  cold milk. She took
her order to a table by the windows, where she sat facing  them so she could
watch the scurrying about of the various ships outside. Laney  was rather
surprised several minutes later when a shadow fell over her, and she  looked up
find the handsome man whom she'd met outside the shuttle bay  earlier.
        "Can I help you?" she asked.
        He looked down and smiled. "I was just about  to ask if I could join
you. I know we've barely met, but yours is the only face  in the room that I
recognize."
        Why not? she mused, and with a  shrug, indicated the chair across
from her. "Be my guest."
        He nodded, moving around the table and  placing a plate with a large
steak and a baked potato down, as well as a glass  of iced tea. He pulled the
chair out and sat, placing his napkin on his lap.
        "Thank you, Ensign," he said. "I do rather  hate to eat alone."
        Briefly an image of the dining hall at  Leavenworth, full of inmates
talking and eating, trying to socialize as much as  possible in the little
time they had, flashed into Laney's head. She shook it  away mentally before
replying, "Generally, I don't either."
        "Only generally?"
        She grinned in spite of herself. "Last place  I was...posted, there
were way too many people. Not that I prefer to be alone,  but I rather enjoy
solitude."
        He nodded after a moment. "I suppose I could  understand that."
        The man took a drink of his tea before  holding a hand across the
table. "I suppose if we're to dine together, it would  do to be courteous
enough
to introduce myself. My name is James  Norrington."
        "Ensign Delaney Scott," she replied as she  shook the proffered hand,
eyeing him curiously.
        "What? Have I tea dripping down my chin?" he  asked.
        Laney shook her head. "No. It's just...your  name. I could swear I've
heard it somewhere before."
        "Perhaps on the Federation News Net. I'm a  reporter," James replied.
        Laney chuckled. "That's not it---I haven't  watched the news in about
seven years. No... somewhere else."
        His eyes brightened, and he smiled. "I think  I know," he said. "Have
you ever seen the vids or run the holonovels of the  Pirates of the Caribbean
trilogy? It was a series of films from  early twenty-first century. Fantastic
fun, really."
        Laney snapped her fingers. "That's it! I've  seen the vids, and I
loved them! James Norrington was the name of a character,  an officer in the
British Royal Navy."
        James nodded. "That's right. The character  was portrayed by an actor
named Jack Davenport, who, as it turns out, is one of  my ancestors. My mum,
a fan of the trilogy herself, thought it would be funny to  name me after the
character he played, as it is through her that I am related to  him."
        "Isn't that  interesting."
        Her companion nodded. "Yes. And since they  seem to think it's funny.
anyone who has seen the vids or taken part in the  holonovels tends to call
me 'commodore."
        Laney grinned. "I won't be among them, Mr.  Norrington," she
reassured him.
        "Thank goodness," James replied. "Don't get  me wrong, I enjoy a good
bit of fun. But it does get tedious after a  while."
        In the course of their conversation, Laney  had managed to finish her
sandwich. She had not even noticed the passage of  time, but it was well into
the evening, and she still had to unload her  belongings from her shuttle
before she could go to sleep for the launch, which  she had heard from Elijah
Farraday could be as soon as tomorrow.
        Slowly she stood. "Well, I really should be  going. Still have work
to do," she said. "It was nice meeting you, Mr.  Norrington."
        He stood as well. "It was very nice to have  met you as well,
Ensign," he replied. "And please, call me James. Only my father  is Mr.
Norrington."
        She nodded, picking up her dishes to take  them to the recycler.
"Very well. I'll see you around,  Mr.---James."
        He smiled at her as she walked away,  returning to his seat only
after she'd left the lounge. James finished his  own meal, thinking that this
assignment for the FNN might not be so bad after  all.