<USS Avalon> "Medical Reprimand"

  • From: Lyryn Cate <wistful_fancy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: avalon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2005 20:19:13 -0800 (PST)

Medical Reprimand
By Senior Lieutenants Felicity Roan
and Elissabeth Marksbury

Felicity emerged to find the Senior Lieutenant that had been lying on the
biobed now just entering Medical again.  "Ah, Ms. Marksbury, nice to see you've
returned from your Walkabout.  Let's see if we can have another once over on
you and get your physical wounds healed so that you can focus on the emotional,
okay?"

Elissabeth blinked in surprise.  She expected more probing from Doctor Roan.
There was no way she should've been on her feet so quickly, much less out on a
'walkabout'.  If it hadn't been for Tel, she wouldn't be.  Either the woman was
confident in her earlier treatment or was puzzled and choosing not to say
anything.

The doctor was not without sympathy or compassion, but had a third-person view
of the situation and was oblivious to what had occurred aboard the Marauder.
Felicity knew there was a dead crewman, and that alone spoke volumes.  She knew
that physically, her wounds could be healed in hours.  The emotional wounds,
she couldn't even begin to treat.  She opted to handle it in her usual stoic
fashion and not pry.

Settling back onto a bio-bed, Elissabeth waited as the doctor hovered over her.
 She was so tired, she felt as though she could sleep for days.

Felicity worked quickly and efficiently and with the assistance of several of
the other staff members and was able to get Marksbury's wounds tended within
minutes as promised. Passing the dermal regenerator over the burn-like lesions,
she was able to restore her skin to a semblance of normalcy.  "I would like it
if you could stay here for at least another three days to ensure that things
heal properly.  Here is a thermal blanket and I'll dim the lights in this area
for you.  Get some rest."

"That's all?" she asked quietly.

Felicity turned and looked at the officer, and pondered responding honestly to
the question about her complete disregard for Medical protocols surrounding
away missions; however, she decided that it wouldn't be worth the breath with
which it would be intended.  "I think for the moment, I've done all I can,
wouldn't you say?  I'm thankful that you didn't stay on a longer Walkabout.
The chances that I could have treated your condition would have decreased by
47%.  In layman's terms, that's not a good thing.  I will leave a nurse to
attend to your more immediate needs, but I must prepare a letter now for the
fallen crewman's family and try and provide the Captain with Medical support
for his condition that doesn't disclosure the true nature of his death."

Felicity realized that she wasn't being very doctorly and turned to the officer
one last time, "Please try and get some rest now.  You will require at least
three more of these treatments in the next 48 hours to ensure a full recovery.
If you have any questions or require further assistance, just speak with the
Nurse."

"Doctor?" Elissabeth asked quietly, compelling her to turn back around.  "I
apologize for leaving.  It wasn't a 'walkabout', it was a serious matter I had
to take up with the Captain.  I also would like to apologize to the yeoman
who... I slightly bullied my way past on the way out the door."  Sighing, she
added, "I'm really not quite myself at the moment."

"Your apology isn't what we're after here Ms. Marksbury, it's your well-being
that comes first through those double doors.  You can bully whomever you wish
in any area of the ship.  But if you don't get proper medical treatment and
die, well then you become my problem.  Get some rest now and we'll consider the
matter closed."

Frowning, Felicity entered her office and sat to prepare the letter for the
Captain.  She despised this portion of the job.

Sighing, Elissabeth laid back and closed her eyes, knowing the reprimand was
well-deserved, adding to ever-growing list of things to feel guilty for.