<USS Avalon> "James" by Lyryn Cate

  • From: Lyryn Cate <wistful_fancy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: avalon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 11:34:03 -0700 (PDT)

"James"
Written by Ensign Lyryn Cate

As soon as Skyler had exited the room, Lyryn turned to James expecting anger or
reproach.  She saw neither.  There was a look of intense curiosity on his face
as he slowly rotated to take in his new surroundings.

"James," she said softly.

"Lyryn," he replied akwardly.

Lyryn sighed.  Oh boy, where to start?  she wondered.  This was an unusual case
of "Don't ask first, just apologise later".  Lt. Cate had always been a
strictly by-the-book woman.  The General would've had it no other way.  She was
beginning to question what sort of woman she was becoming.

A whole new one, the thought came a moment later.  This is my chance to start
over, to make...friends.  Yes, friends.  Like Skyler.  The thoughts were a bit
hesitant and slightly stilted, but in her head and heart nonetheless.  She
smiled.

"James, there is nothing I can say to explain what I've done," she began.

"Well, it appears that you have made friends with the XO of this "enemy"
vessel, and from the Captain's messages we just heard and that bump and rock of
the engine that we are going "home" with them five hundred years in the past.
Does that about cover it?"  There was no emnity in his voice.  Perhaps a slight
disbelief, but more calm and rationale than Lyryn had expected.

Blinking rapidly a few times, Lyryn recovered and asked, "Are you angry?"

James paused to think about it, running his hand over his very close cropped
red hair.  "This is just so...unlike you, Lyryn.  I must say that I am
surprised.  I was shocked when I heard that the great Lt. Cate had botched her
mission and been captured," he paused to add a wry grin and let the fact that
he knew sink in.  "Brin was watching you closely, my dear.  You know he was
just waiting for you to screw up. Course he had to wait several years..."  he
finished with a smile.

"Oh, James," she sighed, in an unusual display of emotion.  "I don't know what
I'm doing anymore."

He then approached her and wrapped her into a comforting embrace.  She allowed
herself to relax, to fall into that hug, to comfort from it.

"I knew that I couldn't go back to the Tempest, James, I just couldn't.  If
they hadn't found out about my treachery, then I still would've been
black-listed for getting captured.  I shudder to think what life would've been
like under Brin's command.  I know that I haven't made the most intelligent
decisions, but I believe I've made the most moral ones," she sighed, still
hugged in his arms.  "But I know that doesn't explain or excuse what I've done
to you," she whispered.

"Lyryn, you have been my closest friend for sometime.  We've shared many drinks
and late night chats.  Many hopes and dreams and fears.  I trust you.  I've
trusted you for years.  But it doesn't excuse your behaviour concerning my
life," he blew out an exasperated sigh.  He then pulled her tighter to him.
"Our relationship is precious to me and I'm not going to chance spoiling it by
having this discussion when I'm bewildered as to what will become of my life -
and the fact that I didn't make the decision to be here.  I believe that you
know you had no right to effect my life in such a way, but we will talk of it
later."

Relieved to know that he didn't hate her, but still anxious over the
discussions to come, Lyryn laid awake most of the night listening to James'
breathing beside her.  When she did sleep, she had uneasy dreams.  They both
did.