<USS Avalon> Easy Come, Easy Go (Fielding)

  • From: Jamie Lawson <ayeshalan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: avalon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 27 May 2009 22:04:02 -0700

*Easy Come, Easy Go*
Ens. Matthew Fielding
2009:05:27

Ensign Matthew Fielding surveyed the small room that was to be his temporary
quarters aboard the *Avalon*.  Smaller and a bit more spartan than his old
quarters aboard the *Resurgence*, it was still ample for what he needed.  A
place to sit, a place to sleep, a library computer terminal, small
replicator for spare uniforms and snacks, small 'fresher.  Truthfully, his
old quarters hadn't really had much more than that.

Theelon had asked him about that once, remarking that most humans he'd met
seemed to bring a great many things with them wherever they went --
keepsakes, recreational gear, even pets.  "Where is all your ... stuff,
Fielding?"

"I'm only half human," he'd answered.  "Besides, even humans have a saying:
'easy come, easy go.'  Anything that's really important, I don't want to
have it where I could lose it, you know?"

Fielding sat down hard on the edge of the bunk.  Theelon was gone.
 Vaporized, somewhere on the *Resurgence*.  And so was ...

He shut down that thought hard.  He wasn't up to doing an inventory of dead
friends, no matter how small that list was.  Enough for now to remember they
were all gone.  He'd made friends among the survivors, of course -- nothing
like several days of enforced company amid a desperate fight for survival to
prove who your friends are.  But they all had their own business to attend
to.  Just surviving, for some.

He sighed.  He should have stayed on the hospitality track at the Academy.
 But then, even that was no guarantee of a peaceful life.  The mess staff of
the *Resurgence *were all gone, too.

He got up and checked the terminal at the small desk.  There were no orders
waiting for him, which was a shame.  He needed something to do, and sitting
here staring at the walls was right out.  He brought up the diagram of
ship's facilities.  Perhaps some time at the gym.  And then the officers'
lounge.

If they didn't know how to mix an Ekosian Battleax, he'd just have to show
them.

--
"A populist is someone who is for the people and against the powerful, and
so a populist is generally the same as a liberal—except we tend to have more

Where were you in 1989? http://20yearsago.libsyn.com
Starlight Teahouse message board!
http://www.starlightteahouse.com