<USS Avalon> "All Aboard"

  • From: "CmdrSkyler" <CmdrSkyler@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Avalon" <Avalon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2006 20:16:32 -0400

 "All Aboard"
Cpt. Ketchum, Cmdr. Skyler, Lt. Li and Lt.Ashayu

Winding her way through the station, Skyler was lost in thought. She was on her
way to check on Melanie and Georgia as well as to meet with the Captain on the
new Avalon. Arriving in sickbay she saw Georgia and nodded at her.  She was
going to miss the old woman but she would be back. Melanie was still
unavailable so she left sickbay and found herself staring out one of the bigger
windows. It was then that she saw the new Avalon-C.

She looked at it in amazement. It was definitely quite different from the two
previous ships. This one looked larger and frankly it was a bit overwhelming.
She could see the worker bees finishing the final touches on the ship and new
that it wouldn't be long before everyone was back on board and they were in
space again.

After looking at the exterior of the ship, she made her way to the air lock
that connected the ship to the station. She walked through the air lock and
onto the ship. It had that new ship smell. As she was walking along the halls
she noticed little things. Diagrams explaining the layout, how quiet the ship
was. She could barely hear the hum of any of the engines. After walking around
for a while she finally found her way to the bridge where she found Keith
sitting in his chair.

"You called for me, boss?"

Skyler looked around and couldn't believe what she was seeing. The bridge was
totally different from the previous two ships. She just looked around in awe.

"Like it?  Our new home.  Just waiting for Lieutenant Li and Lieutenant Ashayu
to get aboard, so we can get crew quarters assigned and remainder of the stuff
aboard."

Looking around Skyler nodded her head. She did indeed like it. She found her
seat and made herself comfortable. This was definitely not the old Avalon but a
new and better one. Thinking to herself, maybe this will be a good change.

He handed her a PADD, "This is a very brief overview of the ship.  We'll be
recovering the run-abouts and shuttles from the star base and they will be
brought aboard.  We'll be heading back to the Avalon-B location and get our
personal belongings, and tow her here.  Beyond that, our mission is of
exploration."

Kaera had been checked into Medical upon arrival, but released within hours as
she and her babies were pronounced healthy.  The time spent in guest quarters
with Cam and the little ones had relaxed and refreshed her.  Even her body was
beginning to return to its normal shape after having been stretched out from
carrying twins.  Now she was ready to take on some work at last, and the order
to report had come at a good time.  As she walked through the docking tube and
into the corridor of the new ship, she wondered if the request for slightly
different shifts (so as to rely on a minimum of outside child care, at least at
first) would be approved.

Taking the lift to the Bridge, Kaera particularly noted the "new" smell of the
ship.  But that would quickly fade once the crew and families were aboard.

The lift opened, and she stepped out into the control center.  "Ashayu
reporting for duty," she said crisply to the officers there.

Still reviewing the PADD, Skyler looked up when she heard the voice, "Welcome
aboard Lieutenant. How are the children doing? Hopefully we can get them all
settled in along with the rest of the crew. So, what do you think of our new
"home?"

"I have not had the opportunity to see very much of it, Commander," Kaera said
honestly, answering the last question first.  "My children are well," she
added.  "They will be no bother to the crew, I am sure."  She sincerely hoped
that would be the case.  It would be troubling to be asked to leave the Avalon
on account of having two children.  The ship was really the first place Kaera
had felt at home in a long time.

Vilya slowly but surely made her way toward the bridge, stopping to look at
things here and there with an engineer's eye.  It was different but it wasn't
bad, not at all.  When she finally did reach her destination, she realized she
was the last one to arrive.  "My apologies," she said hastily.  "I was playing
tourist."

"No problem, Lieutenant. Just glad you could make it aboard. It is a rather
different ship than the previous ones. I know that there is going to be plenty
of room for daycare and other things of that nature. What we need to do now is
figure out where we are going to put everyone so we can get them aboard and
head out to gather whatever was left on the old Avalon and then head off to a
new mission."

Vilya didn't quite laugh.  Day care was no problem, not when Grandpa was around
and not when Grandpa as getting along so well with Maggie Stuart.

Looking at Keith, Skyler waited for him to say something, anything. She could
tell he was engrossed in his new surroundings.

"Sir, everyone you requested is here, what are you orders?"

"Ok, as Operations and Civilian Support, you will be in charge of room
assignments.  Only thing.  Department Chiefs will be in the upper decks, and
the 1st Assistants will be in the lower deck, remainder of the departments will
be spread evenly. "  He handed them the deck listing.  "Any questions?"

"Have all the additional personnel checked in, sir?" Vilya asked.  "I know we
were due for several."

"I know that we are the first of the crew to be permitted fully on the Avalon
at this moment, not sure what the station has for us, but we just to get
everyone that is supposed to be here assigned", he paused and smiled, "so that
even yourselves, will have someplace to sleep."

"Aye, sir," Vilya said with a slight sniff of amusement.  "We can pack them
like Terran sardines."

"I have one question, do our quarter's still have the same ability to be
whatever we want them to be, as on the old Avalon? It was kind of nice to
change your own personal environment from time to time. Also, just so everyone
is aware, Lt. Georgia Lewis.....will not be rejoining us when we depart Izar."

"I haven't had the chance to check on the quarters.  And yes, I know about
Georgia, I approved it."

"Who?" Vilya wondered aloud even as she made a mental note to check the
incoming roster for replacements.

Skyler looked at Keith and then at Lt. Li, "Lt. First Class Georgia Lewis. She
was Chief Nurse on the Avalon for quite a few years and my dearest friend. I
will miss her greatly, although I hope when she has completed what she is
setting out to do she will be allowed to return to the Avalon."

"Uh huh."  With a shrug, Vilya nodded absently.  Still had to be replaced, she
told herself.  She was so grateful their sweet Lilin was still with them.  Her
baby had been born the proper Bajoran way thanks to her.

Looking at Keith, Skyler hoped the answer was yes.

Keith nodded to Skyler.  "Alright, let's get this ship loaded and on our way."