<USS Avalon> Admiralty Meeting – Part 4 – Judgment Day?

  • From: CptKetchum@xxxxxxx
  • To: avalon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 22 May 2004 12:58:48 EDT

Admiralty Meeting – Part 4 – Judgment Day?
By Captain Keith Ketchum and Captain Joseph Flubb

As being his prompt self, Keith arrived at the Admiral’s office to finish up
with the inquiry.

He awaited them to enter.  Finally, they did, as did a Antican Captain that
Keith did not know.

“Ah, Captain Ketchum, prompt as always.”

Keith just nodded, and mentally tried to prepare himself for the questioning.

“Today should be very brief, Captain Ketchum.”  As they all took a seat.
“
We have reached a decision.  You will be transferred to Star Base 12 as
adjutant to Admiral Collins, and given control over fleet movements of the
Fifth
Fleet.  Congratulations, Fleet Captain.”

“But what about the Avalon, who will be commanding her?”

“Captain Keith Ketchum, this is Captain Joseph Flubb, the new Captain of the
USS Avalon.”

They nodded to each other, “Admiral, I must protest, as I do no wish to be
removed from my command.”

Admiral Collins was the first to respond, “Captain, your dedication to duty
and detail, has made you highly coveted for this new placement.  I’m just
lucky
that I was able to snatch you up, before a less notable location became
available.”

“I thank you for that, Admiral.”

“Also, the Avalon, the Allegiance and the Sutherland will fall under, as it
has in the past, the jurisdiction of the Fifth Fleet.  So your decisions will
still affect the crew.  And Captain Flubb comes with the highest
recommendations of his former Captain.”

Keith thought, but I will not be in the Captain’s chair.  And how was his
crew going to take to this new Captain.  “Congratulations, Captain Flubb, the
Avalon is an excellent ship.”

“Yes, Fleet Captain, I know it is.”

Right to the point, Keith thought, hoping the Antican Captain was not
telepathic.

Admiral Yost chimed in, “The Avalon will be heading off to escort a Tholian
Ambassador to Earth, in the next couple of days, since Shore Leave had been
granted for the next week.  Keith, your personal belongings are already being
loaded for transport to Star Base 12, and you will need to be ready to leave by
the end of the day.”

“Good luck, Captains.  I’m sure we will be in touch.  Dismissed.”

Both the newly promoted Fleet Captain and the newly transferred Captain left
the office together.  “Good luck on the Avalon, Captain Flubb, she is a fine
ship.”

“I doubt luck will have anything to do with it.  And I’m sure she is.  But
you need not worry about her, as she is under my command now.”

Keith just wondered how the crew was going to take to this brash captain.