<USS Avalon> A Rose In A Fisted Glove Moreya, Skyler

  • From: CmdrSkyler@xxxxxxx
  • To: avalon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 4 May 2009 19:49:54 EDT

--------------------
A Rose In a Fisted  Glove
Moreya,  Skyler
2009:04:30
Moreya sat in front  of the comm unit in her quarters, staring at the
darkened screen.  Though, when after an unknown interval had passed, it occurred
to her  that she had not been staring at the screen so much as through it.
Through it and beyond to another planet, far away  from where the Avalon was
now bound.  To her homeworld, Delta  IV.  She had been too long away.
Too long  away.  And now, too late for one being whose memory had lain
quiet next to Moreya's heart.  Quiet, uncomplaining, and now  ... forever
silent.
And yet ... there was  a beginning at the same time.  Two messages had come
through,  almost at the same instant.
She could feel the  pull of home as surely as if there was a lasso around
her chest.  She nearly wept in desperation, wanting to heed it.
But as it always did,  the other pull held her fast.  What of her duty to
Starfleet,  she thought.  Always, it was duty.  And now  as much as ever,
could not be cast aside.
Still, even duty  didn't demand she deal with all this in isolation.  That
way  lay madness, especially for Deltans, those most social of sentients.
Giving herself a  gentle but visible shake, she concentrated a moment to
reassert control over her  pheremone release.  Then she consulted the
chronometer.  She'd been lost in her reverie longer than she  would have liked,
but
she should still have enough time to reach Skyler before  she was asleep.
She paused before  tapping the chime at Skyler's door, composing herself.
She  didn’t want to hide her emotional tempest; she just didn't want it to
be  overwhelming.  Not to mention the paradoxical mingling of  grief and joy
was going to be confusing to anyone.  It was  confusing to Moreya.
She pressed the chime  and waited a moment.
Sitting alone in her  quarters, Skyler sat contemplating her current
situation. Her love for Moreya,  her disillusion with Starfleet, and her
confusion
with her family or lack  thereof.  The sound of the chime broke the
silence.
She knew who she  hoped it was, but it was hard to tell who it would be.
Still  sitting she responded, "Come in." She waited to see who her late night
visitor  was.
Moreya stepped in,  walking over to Skyler and pulling her into a hug.
Before  Skyler could say anything, Moreya let her go and sat cross-legged on
the  floor.  "I've had some news from home," she said.  "Some news of joy and
some news of grief.  But all of  it news I cannot ignore."
Feeling Moreya's arms  around her always made Skyler feel good. However,
this time she could sense  something was wrong.  Walking across the room,
Skyler went to  the replicator and made two glasses of tea. She took one for
herself and handed  the other to her friend. She then sat across from her on
the floor.
"Tell me, my friend.  What is this news? Is there anything I can do to
help?"  Moreya had done so much for Skyler that she wanted to repay the  favor.
"I can ask only one  thing, dear one, and it is this.  I must ask your
forgiveness,  for I must tell you something that might trouble you, something I
should have  told you before."
Skyler knew as soon  as Moreya had to ask for forgiveness that this was not
going to be a good thing.  She sat quietly, letting the coolness of
condensation on the glass run down her  fingers. Her thoughts were running wild,
and not necessarily in a good  way.
"I have had news from  home.  My sister, my only sibling, has had a  child.
 My first nephew."
"A nephew.  Congratulations. You must be very happy for your sister and
your family." Skyler  thought briefly of the niece she would never know. A
sister long lost to  her.
"But ... there is  more."  She took a long pull off the glass of tea, for
once  hardly tasting it.  "About someone as dear to me as you are  ....
someone I had hoped you would be able to meet one day soon."
"I hope to meet those  important to you,” Skyler said.  “If they are
important to you  then they are the same to me."
Moreya flashed a  brief smile.  "You are kind, dear one."  Then she finally
said the words she would have given anything to  deny.  "This someone ...
has died."
A death. That was  something Skyler was familiar with. More than she cared
to be. "I am sorry for  your loss." Reaching over she gently touched
Moreya's hand.
A slight nod was all  Moreya could allow herself, to acknowledge the touch.
 Too  much more needed to be said, and quickly, before the pain overwhelmed
 her.  "You remember your medical studies?  Deltan biology?  That we
require many matings over a  long span of time in order to bear offspring?"
"I do. And If I  didn't, you have made it quite clear to me." She continued
to hold Moreya's  hand, holding it tighter as her friend and lover spoke.
"I had a  mate.  He has just died.  I should have told  you of him sooner,
and I am sorry.  I hope you can forgive  me."
"There’s nothing to  forgive; you should know that. What can I do to help
you? I want to be with you  to help you through this ordeal. You shouldn't be
alone, not now."  Putting her glass down, Skyler pulled Moreya close. She
held  her in her arms and gently caressed her head.  "Stay here  tonight and
we will figure out what to do in the morning."
Moreya relaxed into  Skyler's embrace.  "I wish I could leave.  I  feel so
close to just resigning my commission and walking away.  Starfleet needs me,
though, doesn't it?  But for  tonight, I will stay here, and gladly."  She
closed her  eyes.
"I am glad you have  not resigned your commission as Starfleet still does
need you."  As do I.  Standing, Skyler gently helped Moryea  to her feet.
"Come, the floor is no place for you to sleep. Let me help you to  the bed
where you can relax in a bit more comfort."
With an arm around  the Deltan’s waist, Skyler led her to the bedroom.
Once  there, she gently helped Moreya out of her gown and pulled the bed covers
back.  She tenderly laid Moreya on the bed and pulled the covers back over
her. "Get  some rest my love. I will be back shortly to check on you."
Before leaving she  ordered the computer to increase the temperature of the
room to that of Delta  IV. She wanted to make her friend as comfortable as
possible. She stood in the  doorway and watched as Moreya seemed to relax
somewhat. After a few minutes  Skyler made her way back into the living area
and her computer. She had a great  deal to think about.
Sitting at her desk,  Skyler stared at the computer. She didn't know what
to think about what Moreya  had told her. The fact that she would even
consider resigning from Starfleet  made her realize how tenuous her hold was on
Moreya. Not that she was anyone’s  possesion. Skyler just assumed Moreya would
always be around in one way or  another.
What would I have  done had she indeed left Starfleet and returned home?
Would  she want me to go with her? Would I be willing to resign my
commission? So many  questions with little or few answers.
Looking back at the  computer she noticed she had a message.  When she had
finished  reading it, Skyler was in total shock.  In a flash, she threw
everything off the desk and onto the floor. Why was this happening? Now, of
all times.
After destroying just  about everything on her desk, Skyler got up and
started to pace. First Moreya  was going to leave and now Tery has gone. Again.
With no  reason why. Just a note saying she was sorry but she had to leave.
 What on earth did I do to deserve this? What am I being punished  for?
She finally found a  dark corner and sat on the floor, holding her knees to
her chest and her head on  her knees. She started rocking back and forth as
the tears started to flow down  her face.
The crashing of items  being thrown from Skyler's desk brought a drowsing
Moreya to full  wakefulness.  She slipped out of the bed and looked out into
the main room of Skyler's quarters, watching as her friend raged, then
paced,  then slipped down into a ball in one corner.  Quietly she  crossed the
room, knelt down in front of Skyler, and said quietly, "The floor is  no
place for you to sleep either.  What has happened, dear  one?"
Skyler just sat there  rocking and crying. Her emotions were raw. More than
they had ever been. After a  few minutes, she looked up at Moreya. "She's
gone. Again. Everyone always  leaves. There must be something wrong with me.
What am I doing wrong,  Moreya?  What? You were thinking of leaving
Starfleet, and I  understand your reasons. You have every right to leave. Your
family needs you.  You need your family. You don't need a leech like me."
Moreya took Skyler  gently by the shoulders, looked straight into her eyes,
and said, very slowly,  "Leech, my left tit."
When she was sure  that she'd thus gotten Skyler's full attention, she
said, “Dear one, neither my  misadventures nor Tery's have anything to do with
you.  Coincidence, poor timing, a fault in karma ... all of these are
possible,  but none of them have the least bit to do with how much we love you,
nor
whether  you are deserving of love or not.  And yes, I have my reasons  for
wanting to leave Starfleet ... and my family does need me.  But Starfleet
needs me more.  And so do  you."
Skyler looked up at  Moreya with tears in her eyes. "Yes I do need you, but
your family needs you  more. Starfleet needs you but neither they nor I
have the right to keep you from  going home. Even if it is only for a short
period.  As for  what I need that is not the issue. Your happiness is the
issue."
Looking at the Deltan  before her, Skyler knew what she wanted at that
particular moment. She needed to  feel wanted, needed … No.  Desired. Yet she
was not going to  do anything to jeopardize her relationship with Moreya.  It
would be taking her pain on losing Tery out on her and that would not be
fair.  Damn she was an emotional mess and weakling.
Moreya gathered  Skyler into her arms, letting her head rest against the
Deltan's  shoulder.  "We're all in this together, beloved.  My family will do
quite well until we both can go and join  them.  In the meantime, there are
others on this ship who need  us.  We shall just have to take what comfort
we can from on_e  another, yes?"  She looked down at Skyler with a twinkle in
 her eye, allowing a knowing smile to play across her face.
Skyler looked up at  Moreya and saw the twinkle in her eyes. No matter the
circumstance she always  had a twinkle. "Yes, I think that we can do that."
Standing  she stood next to Moreya, cupping her face in her hand,
"Sometimes I wonder what  I ever did without you in my life."
Well there's a rose  in a fisted glove
And the eagle flies  with the dove
And if you can't be  with the one you love, honey
Love the one you're  with
--Stephen  Stills

2009 3 Free CREDIT SCORES: See  Your 3 Credit Scores from All 3 Bureaus
FREE!_
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1221797372x1201397989/aol?redir=https://www.freescore.com/Offers/Start/FreeCreditReportAndScore.aspx?ID=918
31F371F138345B53A153F49D4D872&siteid=e927580bf7)
**************2009 3 Free CREDIT SCORES: See Your 3 Credit Scores from All
3 Bureaus FREE!
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1221797372x1201397989/aol?redir=https:%2F%2Fwww.freescore.com%2FOffers%2FStart%2FFreeCreditRepor
tAndScore.aspx%3FID%3D91831F371F138345B53A153F49D4D872%26siteid%3De927580bf7
)