[austechwriter] Re: [old-austechwriter] Terminology - screen orwindow

  • From: Michael West <mbwest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 10:13:28 +1000

> However, if your _audience_ (about which Mike mentioned zero, zip, nada) is
> from a  mainframe terminal background, they will thank you for using the
> term screen which they are used to meaning a window.

Not sure I agree. I'm from a mainframe
terminal background (CICS/3270
vintage 1980), but when working
in a GUI environment I prefer to use the
GUI vocabulary. But yes, if your users
would be totally flummoxed by the
term "window", having had no introduction
to Windows and all that other new-fangled
claptrap, by all means don't confuse them.

Still, I don't see how "screen" would solve
the problem, which as I understand it refers
to changing content within the same "screen"
(if you prefer) or window.

--
Mike West