atw: Unlock PDFs

  • From: Bill Parker <renew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2009 13:44:48 +0800

Thanks Darryl,

I found PDKey so easy I didn't "re-boil" ( I like that - not too many things around get re-boiled.... esp. eggs)

The docs at hand were Pword protected from any editing. I could print (as above) but that would have been a task and lead me nowhere.

Instead (with copyright owner permission!!) I got to work with PDF Key ( I believe there is a Windows version) and it worked darn quick. 100 PDFs unlocked in seconds.

From: "Daryl Colquhoun" <atw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: pdf security isn't as bad as it seems
Date: Sun, 31 May 2009 23:04:48 +1000

David said:
One trick I have used to extract content out of a locked PDF is to print
the pdf to pdf.

(This is known as 'reboiling' the PDF.) But Rhonda had no luck.

Rhonda is using Acrobat, which is 'conforming' software while David is using
non-Adobe software, presumably 'non-conforming'.

'Conforming' means that it conforms to the standard, which is now an ISO
standard, ISO 32000-1:2008, also available (free) at
http://www.adobe.com/devnet/pdf/pdf_reference.html. In 7.6.3.1, we find

'[A] conforming reader technically has access to the entire contents of the document. There is nothing inherent in PDF encryption that enforces the document permissions ... Conforming readers shall respect the intent of the document creator by restricting user access ... according to the permissions
contained in the file.'

Essentially, PDFKeyPro (which is one I have not seen) appears to be a
nonconforming reader which generates a PDF with the print protection
removed.

HOWEVER, the point I really want to make is that the print (and copy, merge, form-fill, etc) permission(s) are handled quite differently from protection of the document against being opened. Bill's print-protected document has an owner password. If you protect the document against being opened at all, it
has a user password. Documents may have either or both.

And, to get to the point at last, I believe that the protection afforded by a user password is pretty good. More to come when I complete my researches.

On the story of the Russian ElcomSoft programmer, a quick search reveals that he wasn't cracking PDFs but Adobe eBooks. ElcomSoft is now, according to http://www.elcomsoft.com/company.html (and other sources), a Microsoft
certified partner, and therefore respectable. ElcomSoft's website is
interesting.