atw: Re-use text between CHM topics?

  • From: "Peter Fagan" <peterf@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Austechwriter (post)" <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 11:02:15 +1100

From: Craig Hadden <CraigH@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re-use text between CHM topics?
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2004 08:57:28 +1100

In a CHM file, is there a way I can display a
context-sensitive (plain-text)
popup when the user clicks on a link in an HTML topic?

Alternatively, is there a way I can re-use text between
topics? (I really
don't want to copy-and-paste and then have ongoing
maintenance issues.)

Craig

If I understand correctly what you want to do, I think there
is a solution in Microsoft HTML Help Workshop's own Help
file - a .chm of course :-)

At Aurema we use this approach to make words and phrases in
our glossary appear as hyperlinks in .CHM text. When the
hyperlink is clicked, a popup displays containing the
glossary entry.

You would appreciate that this allows you to re-use a popup
many times.

In the .chm Help for HTML Help, go to the topic "Script and
DHTML examples" and look at its sub-topics:
"Example: Create a pop-up window"
"Example: To store text for pop-up windows in a text file".

If you have any problems implementing this, contact me
off-line and I will send you my own knowledge base entry on
how we got it working and the limitations and gotchas we
came across.

Peter Fagan
IntraDoc Pty Ltd