atw: Re: which union best represents us?

  • From: Write Ideas <writeideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2008 11:52:33 +1100

Hi Kim (C)

The MEAA has been fine by me, providing many benefits since I joined way back in 1991.

They cover technical communicators and, as a contractor / consultant these days, I am registered with them as a freelance member. The title on my membership card is "Writer / Editor".

www.alliance.org.au

Have always been able to rely on them. Their JUST Super fund is just super! I got my home loan at a huge saving over the big banks, with very little fuss, through its Super Members Home Loans (now Members Equity Bank) association.

When I've needed them to step in with a badly (unlawfully) behaving employer that was trying to intimidate many staff into leaving without redundancies, the AJA rep cam in and, with particular grace under fire, negotiated months of extra, worthwhile work for me that I would not have otherwise had.

Non-radical. More a professional association than a stereotypical union. IMHO worth every cent.

Of which I have just given you tuppence worth.

Don't know of a better union for creative writer / author / editor folk than the AJA section of the MEAA.

Cheers,

Michael Granat
Write Ideas
www.writeideas.com.au
http://www.alliance.org.au/freelancers/journalists/write_ideas/details/
mailto:writeideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

20 Years of Write Ideas!

At 11:32 4/01/2008, you wrote:

Hi all

Just wondering if there are any tech writers in unions out there? It's something I've thought about on and off for years but not done anything about. I used to be in the Media Entertainment and Arts Alliance but I was doing freelance journalism at the time. It doesn't seem that relevant to a technical writer role.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Kim Chawner

Technical Writer