atw: Re: XML- a requirement for a TechWriter looking for Work?

  • From: peterm_5@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: geoffrey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 10:45:01 +0800

Geoffrey:

You wrote:

> [...]

Although, of course, it's likely they'll shortly require you to know
about Word 2007,
with a default XML output format.     And there's the start of a
trail...  after all, Microsoft just got approval for their own subset
of XML for use in "open" documentation.
Somehow I think they intend to try to use it a bit.  And when they
do.... (see next bit).

>>Further, you don't need to know a whiff of XML "to write and format
>material
>>for the web". Get a grip on Dreamweaver (or one of  its competitors)
>and
>>that's about as much as you need to create a decent intranet or
>web-help
>>system.

Hmm  Yeah. True.  Until Dreamweaver or your other WYSIWYG tool stuffs
up  (known to happen, particularly with Dreamweaver... I found it
buggy... ).

Or let's just say a file gets truncated and loses two characters at
the end...
:-)
Tools do go wrong -- even documentation tools.

Helps to know what the error messages in your browser mean, and how
to fix things quickly.    Or how to fix the stuff-ups that Word used
to create with things like:
"<i><b>this<\i><\b>" ...

(Some sites do use Word to write HTML, poor sods.)

Not essential ?  Maybe.   Helpful?  You bet.

Perhaps essential if you want to save time.  Some of us need to.

>>The tools TWs use (MS Word and Adobe FrameMaker) can generate XML,
>that is
>>true; but that doesn't mean companies are all screaming out for XML.
>And
>>even with the niceties of DITA, the ROI on converting documentation
>>methodologies to DITA-based structured authoring is usually not
>there for
>>any but the largest organisations (of which there are few in
>Australia).

Maybe it's just that I keep on running into IBM, Adobe, Compuware and
a few others, even out here in Australia.... And I'm finding quite a
few that have converted the corpus of their documentation to DITA
XML, or are in the process of doing that.

And if you want translation of your docs to Chinese (and who doesn't,
these days), there's a BIG potential saving in the use of XML,
particularly structured XML.

>>So, for all you members of austechwriter relatively new to the
>profession of
>>technical writing, don't be alarmed if you don't know much about XML
>and
>>structured authoring. There is plenty of work around for you. Do
>read up
>>about it, as it is certainly interesting; but don't lose sleep if
>you
>>haven't.

Meanwhile, if you happen to be one of those documentation people who
have trouble digging information out of SMEs who are very busy (and
sometimes reluctant) to dump their knowledge to you, it's good on
occasions to be able to come up with either information or pointed
questions that arise from a trawl of a bit of XML code you found
lying around on the site...  Configuration data, message formats...
all kinds of stuff buried in there.

+Very+ relevant yesterday here :-)