atw: Re: XML- a requirement for a TechWriter looking for Work?

  • From: "Geoffrey Marnell" <geoffrey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 12:06:51 +1000

Peter,

If you were intending to answer Nikki's question (Is XML becoming part of a
requirement for a Tech Writer who is looking for work?) then I would have to
disagree with you. The overwhelming majority of technical documentation
projects involve no XML at all. My company has placed scores of technical
writers over the last few years, and not one of our numerous clients has
insisted that the contractors we provide have XML skills.

Further, you don't need to know a whiff of XML "to write and format material
for the web". Get a grip on Dreamweaver (or one of  its competitors) and
that's about as much as you need to create a decent intranet or web-help
system.

The tools TWs use (MS Word and Adobe FrameMaker) can generate XML, that is
true; but that doesn't mean companies are all screaming out for XML. And
even with the niceties of DITA, the ROI on converting documentation
methodologies to DITA-based structured authoring is usually not there for
any but the largest organisations (of which there are few in Australia).

So, for all you members of austechwriter relatively new to the profession of
technical writing, don't be alarmed if you don't know much about XML and
structured authoring. There is plenty of work around for you. Do read up
about it, as it is certainly interesting; but don't lose sleep if you
haven't.

Cheers

Geoffrey Marnell
Principal Consultant